Monday, October 31, 2005

Man With AA in Ear

Strange eh? Well al lot stranger when you see it for yourself. I saw a homeless guy with a battery protruding from his ear. Must not have been able to afford an i-Pod!

I am in San Francisco and it is Halloween. Hence why I am in side with no pumpkin clad door step to tempt any late night weirdos wanting to munch out on some candy! It is like Halloween in my neighbourhood everynight. In fact I have been told that only five blocks down the road lies the worse two streets in the city. I live in SoMa (South of Market) which is not the most attractive part of the city. However I am happy to finally be here. It does not seem like two minutes since I last braved these psycadellic Pacific parts because I will always consider it as my home.


I have settled into my appartment. I am sharing with an old friend Mike. Who amongst other things is an actor. So all weekend I have had the place to myself. It was the 1st weekend since I got here I have been able to go out and explore the city. I tell you something, I thought Keighley had its fair share of weirdos and social drop outs. If I gave a dollar to each person who asked me when I went our walking on Saturday morning I would have been taking my day's cash limit out twice over!


I have not had too much time to Blog - Soz, or call, soz, or be as socially graceful as always and just be there for my mates. However I am gonna try and concentrate on writing a decent chapter of a blog once a week. I am taking notes with my i-Pod dictaphone daily, I fit right in on the Muni busses - The only person who does not make a sound on this mode of transport are the drivers - Miserable buggers. No "Have a nice day" policy there then. In fact there is a sign behind the driver stating "No unnecessary talking" however it is OK to ask if the bus actually drops you off any where remotely close to your destination. Always a useful tool when new in a city. Mind you the language barriers cause some frustration here, my accent never cottoned on in London either!


There are loads of fantastically gorgeous looking men, who are all gay. So if you are gay I suggest you pack up your Brighton stripey deck chair and shake your money maker where the real flamboyant boys play. There does not seem to be any homophoebic tendancies here, and that is fantastic, but I am drawing the line at wearing a padded gillet just in case I get chatted up on the bus home! I only need to worry about such advances when I reach 40 , or so my San Franciscan girl friends tell me.


Since I have been in the city (a week yesterday), I have had Italian in North Beach (where I spotted the Mayor - (why is it that these guys in power seem to look like they just walked off a film set?); had the most gorgeous sushi in the Tenderloin; walked all my favourite neighbourhoods, seen the Golden Gate and Bay Bridges; strolled down Fisherman's Wharfe, cleaverly avoiding any camera weilding tourists or weirdos with dogs dressed as faries; and had a good old rummage at Ross Dress for Less (who do a great line in cheap bedding).

It is all good.

How is the dark ness of Autumn setting in at home? Anyone been conker picking yet?

No comments: