Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Friends For Life

Hello my dear Blog-buddies,


Hope your weekend has been half as gorgeous as mine then we'd all be happy.
It is that time of year when one feels an urge to connect with one's blisful memories of an age past when one was a student. I just had to meet up with my friends Jon and Jim who were part of the 5 strong posse in the first year at York. Jim's lovely lady Jo was there too - well, we were staying at their home in Preston and she can keep up with the rest of us - so she was in.


Preston yes, it is the wrong side of the Pennines, but for a seasoned traveller like me - I felt reasonably well informed due to the life-long jibes, for what I was letting myself in for whilst taking a train over the boarder. Nothing too sinister to note, however the accent changed dramatically as soon as we headed out of Hebden Bridge towards Accrington, Burnley, Blackburn and Finally Preston. The more rounded tones caught my ear and I quite enjoyed listening to people talking on their mobile phones - More than usual anyway!


I arrived Saturday lunch, after a Friday night in Baildon celebrating Paddy's Day with adverse effects - ie EXACTLTY the same hangover as I get with Stella - Not good. Piercing, knee trembling, deafening sharp pains behind my right eye, and the feeling thet Geoff Capes had just swung a baseball pat round my head. Never mind - I had Jon waiting for me on the platform, looking to make sure he got the right girl this time, as he had previously followed a girl over the footbridge thinking she was me. I know, I know - Hard to believe that there would be someone even half as gorgeous as me - in Preston - On a saturday - Beggers belief!
It was great to see Jon, he has not changed, a little grey mallam streek is his only real age give away - still the same cheeky dimply grin, and bugger's grip side burns. We rushed to the car after getting some fags - I had the shock of my life purchasing the old Marlboroughs - £5.20 - Nearly as much as London Travelcard, which is a bloody rip off as well. I have not purchased a packed in the UK since I stopped back in June. I could not get over it - It is a good job I am on 5 a day - Honest Doctor, no I am, or else I would be freed of my megre wealth in a few months. I have to quit - I don't have to get fat though - price one must pay .


We skipped back to the car to find Jim and Jo snogging in the back seat - how sweet - Loves young dream. Jim is still 29 the little monkey - he's the baby of the gang.

Then all hell broke loose - To recreate the feeling for those college days a rather large bag was divided out and we all began to skin up - well, Jim is still a little tardy in this department and he probably managed to roll 3 in the 24 hour period we spent smoking the stuff.

Jo thanks for the food - you had it sorted right out - crisps, poppadoms and dips, lamb - yes lamb curry - My favourite and a meat we seem to overlook these days - Very tasty all done in a slow cooker - Mother are you reading this? Someone else my age has one of those things. That's Leanne Jo and me now - Wow I may have to start using mine if I ever take up ownership of it again - of the one you got me in a garage sale.


Wow - just remembered the cheesecake, which put 6lbs on me - honestly - I am detoxing on green tea and no bread right now - all for the sake of a rather large slice of Sainsbury's best. I felt really bad as I turned up empty handed - well, except for a very large bag of smoking material. I did not bring any flowers - the ones in the rain station were plastic - and that is worse than getting them from a garage forecourt. I took no wine. Sorry to my hosts - I am sure I mentioned it a few times in my pangs of guilt, I must start to become a better guest. Note to me.

I must say it was a great night, I want to have my own house back soon, I miss entertaining at home - it is such fun and I do like to get completely off it in the comfort of four familiar walls.
Jo went to the pub and came back with her friend Tracey very giggly and was soon drinking vodka lime and sodas like someone had just chopped down all the lime trees. We were just stoned basically - which was exactly the same as getting caned at uni - Jim and Jon were a double act and I injected the necessary put downs and mused much about my current situation ie - on being single, homeless and jobless!

I will just add a bit about my internet relationship which was supposed to culminate in a week of unadulterated pure sex, touring round the Dales and meeting of the grandparents...It is not to be as my beau has too much on at work... Watch this space though. There is an air of somethingness just floating round the corner - I am sure I will catch it this time round. Always the optimist - that's what you get with having my life I suppose!

Thanks again for a super weekend. I loved and am still indisbeliefe Jon managed another night on the cloud of a bed Jim has in the spare room - Why wasn't I invited?

3 comments:

Rach said...

Hey Mate,
Sounds like you had a blistering weekend. And let me know whats the go with the beau....keep on smiling mate!

Anonymous said...

Hello Jo,

I trust you got back ok and look forward to your latest update, which I hope will cover your leaving do, and I apologise for my non attendance.

CJ XXXXXXX

Anonymous said...

Hi its Colin.

The Guy Who Married Nikola. One of your school Friends.

I met one of your ex boyfriends, a golfer who had no bad words about you but spoke alot about himself, which was no bad thing. I hope you are ok and sorry i did not make the yorkshire dales ( I heard you had a great time ) but kids, especially your own you can not miss.