Sunday, February 06, 2005

Pelaghrini-Salvador´s Historical Wonderland

Hey -What up?
Just blogging-in to let you know I have not been subjected to any robber´s blatent attempts to stick their hand´s down my pants and grab the nearest thing they find. They would only be dissapointed as my entire knicker contents are a bent drivers licence - no I obtained it legally - It is just bent with all the thrusting into my knickers for the past five weeks; a cigarette lighter and a crumpled up 20 reais note. This little ensemble of goodies has been my life line since I arrived. The note will be framed for posterity upon my return and left for my grand children to admire, that is unless a robber does manage to nab it.
We are enjoyig carnival, but I must say Sarah is tyring of the same old, where are you from? How long are you here for? type of questioning, and is being positivly rude to the locals we have encountered. I am dying to get into the spirit of things but my ban on hard liquer is putting a dampner on this.(this is a due to a series of events only my nearest and dearest know about!)
I am sat in Pelaghrini - You hardened travellers wil instantly know my misspelling of this town, I must appologise for my incompitence but spelling was never my strongest point,and unfortunately spell check will not get me out of my error this time.*
Yes,I am extatic as I have finally found somewhere caled an internet cafe which sells coffee, food and lets you smoke while typing. They sell amazing cigars too, but I have no friends who smoke those sort of long instruments of death so will not be puchasing - plus I do not think my sweaty 20 reais will stretch to one somehow.
We have been an a bus today. For 1/2 an hour we searched down the coast to find the perfect beach to top up the tan. We read in a guide book that Flamenco beach was a winner, even if it did state the amount of raw sewage running from the Favelas (slums) into the ocean. It was shit - literally. We made ourselves make the best of a bad situation and pretended we were residents of a hotel. To use their pool facilities,which we did - finally I have a tan line! I must say the skimpy bikinis are not the fashion in this part of Brazil and we were subjected to a few funny looks but that did not get in the way of our tanathon session. Objective accomplished.
Carnival is too mad for the old lass Harper. I can not sleep without ear plugs, even if it is a meger repellant for the banging of drums and street vendors constant barks. People are looking very tired by day 4 of this festive extravagansa. I amhowever pleased to report no hangovers of yet,but I seem to have a constant ringing in my ears none the less.
Salvador is not a patch on Rio, I must say. The carnival is its only saving grace. My advice come to carnival with your drinking head firmly screwed on, as in a sober state there are only so many weirdos one can take.

* note. Spellcheck did not save me from anything in this blog as it has declined my frantic efforts to check this text. I just pray my english teacher is not reading this.

1 comment:

Russell CJ Duffy said...

Dear Miss Harper,

Having received your essay I am afraid to inform you that you have failed your Written English exam.

Not only are there some alarming syntax errors and the occasional dypthong missuse, I was also horrified at the spelling mistakes that seem to fill your essay like a contaigtion.

Also, I was appalled to note your constant lack of aliteration and your inncorrect use of assonance.

I suggest that you leave the exotic climes that you are currently enjoying and return to Britain immeadiately to reunite yourself with the Queens English.

God Save The Queen.

Your humble servant,

Elijah Smalldick

Coacaine Jesus