Thursday, March 08, 2007

Razorlight at Slims San Francisco March 7th

WOW. I am so spoiled, I love San Francisco if only for one thing - the amazingly fabulous live gig scene. I cannot believe that last night I went to Slims for the 1st time. It was a perfect venue for me. Dirty, loud and purveying only the finest larger, that old slag, the bitch Stella and a lot of 'heads' by which I mean folk from home. I love seeing Brits on tour, it makes me smile, because it's all I miss really, the people. That's the only thing I have to force myself to LIKE here!!! He he.

Anyway, I was in line for about 3 minutes, straight in, after collecting our $14 tickets from 'will call' which is a little old fashioned cinema box office style glass booth at the front of the venue. San Francisco is like that, full of quirky 50's style traditions. Lots of retrofitted folks prancing around in severe black hair cuts with a fringe, high ponytails, red lips, Dame Edna type glasses, you know the look - Rock a round the clock type of dresses? I met a couple from Leeds who were nearly off back to Blighty after a year of studying here, they thought I was from Lancashire though! Shame on them ;-)

The band was setting up when we arrived, then all of a sudden kicked off with the one that goes 'In the Morning, everything will be alright'. I was jumping up and down from the first note, seriously they were fantastic. I must admit I have a slight problem when jumping up and down these days. I release a little moisture every time my feet land on the floor. I have been resigning myself to the fact I will no longer be able to jump, merely 'bop' which one simply cannot do to Razorlight; severe headbanging, flailing of arms and jumping up and down a lot is totally necessary, and this I knew - That's why I left my handbag at home!

The whole set was phenomenal. I was thoroughly impressed with my rendition of 'Who Needs Love' the boring folk in front of me did not think so. It was probably the first time they'd left the safety of their living room for months. Bit shell shocked, bless :-)

Is it appropriate when writing a blog to use those smiley faces? Is a blog an extended version of a text message or is it in fact more like a book? In which case smileys are inappropriate, I do not actually like using them, but some folk need a hint, you know, the one's with no sense of humour or SOH as I'd text. I am a bit miffed, being a child of the Atari computer, ping pong, space invaders and Pac Man and only doing my dissertation for my degree on a 1 inch screened 'word processor' I feel that I have been born a few years too soon, when talking about the etiquette of such mindblowingly baffling grammar issues involving a semicolon and a bracket end!

Again I wander- I am writing this at work, in between invoicing, making printed customer name labels for my mahoosive filing system....

A slight pang of guilt made me close there - but I am back. After thinking about the gig all night (geek!), I realised that I saw these dudes playing at Live 8 in Hyde Park, you know the second coming of Live Aid? Yeah, I remember now - I saw them these playing only 2 tracks and fell in love with them. That is why I was gutted they cancelled their last San Francisco gig. Anyway, they came, they conquered and now they left me, in a state. Nothing to look forward to.....


EXCEPT - The Killers at Bill Graham Auditorium SF on April 9th- Whoooooooooooooooooooa! I just had to go on line and see what I could get- They are sold out- Thanks heavens for Craig's list x

No comments: